ClamAV Mailscanner not using clamd

Ghetti, Ron Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us
Thu Feb 5 15:19:28 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Rick
Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:17 PM
To: 'MailScanner discussion'
Subject: RE: ClamAV Mailscanner not using clamd

[...]

If you disable the clamavmodule (in MailScanner) and just use clamd the
clamav perl module is not required. The clamd code is 100% internal and
speaks directly to the clamd daemon it's self, thus it's not affected by
changes in the libclamav.so as is the perl based ClamAVModule code. Of
course I think you should stay up to date with MS but I personally am at
version 4.67.6 myself because I haven't had the time to update the
patches I
have to apply to MailScanner with each update (for special functionality
require). All I am really saying I guess is the version you are running
will
work fine with a properly installed ClamAV package and MS configuration.

Rick

Ok, I see what you mean, that actually sounds fairly easy to deal with.
As far as permissions go, I guess I would just add the clamav user to
the postfix group then.
Does that sound about right ?
I don't think I want any of these processes running as root if you know
what I mean.

Thanks
-Ron

believed to be clean.