quarantine release might lose mail?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Fri Dec 18 14:59:02 GMT 2009

On December 18, 2009 10:22:55 AM +0100 Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Steve is the voice of reason here Frank, so listen well to his advice.
> Given your current situation, I'd seriously think of ditching the
> secondare entirely... As is, it doesn't add any security worth
> mentioning, only trouble. For real mail sent through real MTAs, a
> service outage will be handled (more or less well) via the RFCs
> anyway, so ... the use of a secondary is only to try simulate
> something that mail was never designed for, in your case at least, so
> ... not that great:/

I am now tending to agree.  In fact, I'm not sure why I have *ever*
used a secondary MX.  It's not like you can tolerate more than a day
of downtime (even a day would be long) and even if so, not hard to
put up a second box on the same IP.

I guess it harkens back to the days of lots of little partitions
on the hard drive.

> I haven't looked at it lately, but there used to be a fairly
> opinionated (but good) wiki page on best practices ... Have a quick
> peek at http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=best_practices ...
> it's actually worth the read;-)

thanks, i hadn't seen that page.  i'll check it out.

-frank