quarantine release might lose mail?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Thu Dec 17 16:17:49 GMT 2009

On December 17, 2009 3:04:59 PM +0000 Steve Freegard
<steve.freegard at fsl.com> wrote:
> Huh?  Don't see what this has to do with anything if you use MailScanner
> properly.
>
> It's a *gateway* and should be running as the inbound MX for your domain
> and 'Read IP Address from Received Header' should be left well alone.
> MailScanner will read the client IP address from the queue file.

It is not a gateway.  It does not even implement an SMTP client much
less a server.  It is a filter.

> That how all of us use it....

Apparently not as some solutions using it as other than a gateway are
documented.  One may not have the network configuration to support
using it as a gateway.  Just for example, if you have a backup MX
server, perhaps you cannot run MailScanner on that server.  In which
case you MUST have a hop before your MS server so that when mail is
forwarded from the backup to the MS server, the source IP is properly
interpreted.

Or are you saying that everyone using MS "properly" must have enough
resources to have a backup MX server on another network and under
their direct control.

> I'm going to guess that you're trying to use a single MailScanner systems
> for inbound and outbound scanning and that you want to apply rules to
> your MUA clients separately using the IP address supplied in the Received
> headers by your mail server which is using the MailScanner gateway as a
> smart host.... if so - run a separate outbound gateway and configure
> 'Read IP Address from Received Header' accordingly.

That is correct, however just as I am unable to run MS on my MX host
I am unable to run MS on my SMTP host (the host which receives mail from
users).

> If you need anything more complex - then write a CustomFunction on 'Read
> IP Address from Received Header' and parse the received headers yourself
> and return the correct number back using that.

It was much less complex (trivial as I noted) to properly release a
queue file from the quarantine.

-frank