University MailScanner Setup

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri Dec 11 19:12:49 GMT 2009

On 11/12/09 18:55, shuttlebox wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Gottschalk, David<dgottsc at emory.edu>  wrote:
>> Then we would just have a bunch of MailScanner machines fronted by a load balancer to handle all inbound email (I'd imagine we need more than six after doing so)
>
> I doubt you need to spend money/time on a dedicated load balancer.
> Just setting up all your MailScanner servers as MX hosts in your DNS
> should do the trick for free. Load balancing via round robin from DNS
> and failover from SMTP automatically picking the next MX if one is not
> available.

If you can afford a proper load balancer with all the associated bells
and whistles, then IMO you'll save yourself plenty of headaches in a
MailScanner environment.

MX load balancing is fine for SMTP services; but MailScanner doesn't
speak SMTP - it's both post-queue and batching, so if you can report
your inbound queue sizes to the load balancer; then you can minimize
your pre-delivery waiting times and ensure that load is evenly spread
out - which can be a real problem if you have mismatched machines
performance wise.

Kind regards,
Steve.