Mailscanner only being invoked with certain message sizes

Tony Enderby tenderby at mailwash.com.au
Wed Dec 9 07:02:07 GMT 2009

Hi there,

I have a clean install of the latest MS from Julian's site and have it
installed with default rules
and scanning options. The only think I have changed is the scanner entry
in the .conf file from
auto to clamav and added an entry for &MailWatchLogging to log to a
MySQL database for
MailWatch.

Machine is Fedora Core 9 with sendmail.

If I start MailScanner with service MailScanner start && tail -f
/var/log/maillog I can see the children fork
and the process start to run complete with SQL logging child started
entries.  Mail can be sent in and out
without error but there are no MS style entries in the logs and no
header info added UNTIL I send a message
over 450K i.e a blank body email with a random image in it or a Word doc
of equivalent or greater size.
When I send a message at or over this size I see the MS process output
in the logs (Starting Virus / Content scanning etc)
as well as a write to the MailWatch database.  Anything under this
though sends and gets back ok but only with sendmail
log entries and not MailScanner.

A MailScanner --lint returns a favourable reply with complaints only
about rar not being found.

If anyone could shed some light in this it would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

believed to be clean.