TNEF corruption and crashes and massive problems after upgrading to 4.78.9

Jonas Akrouh Larsen jonas at techbiz.dk
Fri Aug 28 09:44:18 IST 2009

Hello all.

I was glad to see that the processing db feature to prevent mails which
would crash mailscanner or one of its module was added in the version from
topic.

However after having run this beta for about 2 weeks, I got massive problems
in contrast to the old version I ran before that (4.74.16-1)

Before I used to get a problematic mails which would hold up the queues
maybe once every 6 months or so, while very annoying it did not happen often
at all.

However since I upgraded, I get about 2-6 every day which are placed in the
processing queue.

So on the up side the processing database is doing precisely what it was
made for, preventing MailScanner crashes from holding up queue’s, as the
problem mails are removed after X number of tries.

The downside is of course that these mails are not delivery, and its almost
always ham mails, so it’s annoying for the users.

It seems from my first look aty the problem that it seems to be the tnef
expanding part that fails. Now I’ve always used:

Expand TNEF = yes

Use TNEF Contents = replace

TNEF Expander  = internal

Deliver Unparsable TNEF = no

Which has worked well both in terms of not crashing and removing those
annoying winmail.dat files.

Are these variable values the recommended values? What are everyone else
using?

And is anybody using the new beta with success on a faily active system
(like at least 1000 mails a day)

My systems details are below:

scanner0:/var/log# /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner -V

Running on

Linux scanner0 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem #1 SMP Fri Aug 14 01:52:30 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

This is Perl version 5.010000 (5.10.0)

This is MailScanner version 4.78.9

Module versions are:

1.00    AnyDBM_File

1.30    Archive::Zip

0.23    bignum

1.08    Carp

2.012   Compress::Zlib

1.119   Convert::BinHex

0.17    Convert::TNEF

2.125   Data::Dumper

2.27    Date::Parse

1.01    DirHandle

1.06    Fcntl

2.76    File::Basename

2.11    File::Copy

2.01    FileHandle

2.07    File::Path

0.22    File::Temp

0.92    Filesys::Df

1.35    HTML::Entities

3.56    HTML::Parser

2.37    HTML::TokeParser

1.25    IO

1.14    IO::File

1.13    IO::Pipe

2.04    Mail::Header

1.89    Math::BigInt

0.22    Math::BigRat

3.08    MIME::Base64

5.427   MIME::Decoder

5.427   MIME::Decoder::UU

5.427   MIME::Head

5.427   MIME::Parser

3.08    MIME::QuotedPrint

5.427   MIME::Tools

0.13    Net::CIDR

1.25    Net::IP

0.18    OLE::Storage_Lite

1.04    Pod::Escapes

3.08    Pod::Simple

1.13    POSIX

1.21    Scalar::Util

1.80    Socket

2.21    Storable

1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long

0.26    Sys::Syslog

1.40    Test::Pod

0.92    Test::Simple

1.9719  Time::HiRes

1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:

1.52    Archive::Tar

0.23    bignum

2.05    Business::ISBN

20081208        Business::ISBN::Data

1.15    Data::Dump

1.816_1 DB_File

1.25    DBD::SQLite

1.605   DBI

1.16    Digest

1.01    Digest::HMAC

2.39    Digest::MD5

2.11    Digest::SHA1

1.01    Encode::Detect

0.17015 Error

0.2603  ExtUtils::CBuilder

2.2002  ExtUtils::ParseXS

2.38    Getopt::Long

0.45    Inline

1.08    IO::String

1.10    IO::Zlib

2.27    IP::Country

missing Mail::ClamAV

3.002005        Mail::SpamAssassin

v2.006  Mail::SPF

1.999001        Mail::SPF::Query

0.340201        Module::Build

0.20    Net::CIDR::Lite

0.63    Net::DNS

v0.003  Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable

0.39    Net::LDAP

 4.027  NetAddr::IP

1.94    Parse::RecDescent

missing SAVI

3.17    Test::Harness

1.23    Test::Manifest

2.02    Text::Balanced

1.40    URI

0.77    version

0.70    YAML

scanner0:/var/log#

Hope somebody have some comments/sugestions.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Jonas Akrouh Larsen

TechBiz ApS

Laplandsgade 4, 2. sal