No bayesian for me?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 12 19:47:15 IST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> raub at mail ~/Spam $ spamassassin -D < spam9.eml
> [...]
>
> Content analysis details:   (12.7 points, 5.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  2.9 BAD_ENC_HEADER         Message has bad MIME encoding in the header
>  3.2 CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADER A foreign language charset used in headers
>  1.8 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE      RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars
>  0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>                             [202.132.194.31 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
>  1.6 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
>                             [202.132.194.31 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
>  2.2 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
>               [Blocked - see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?202.132.194.31>]
>  0.1 RDNS_DYNAMIC           Delivered to trusted network by host with
>                             dynamic-looking rDNS
>  0.0 MISSING_MIMEOLE        Message has X-MSMail-Priority, but no X-MimeOLE
>
> So, I guess the above means that bayesian was not run when I ran spamassasin
> as me because it did not have the rights to access the database. I can live
> with that.
>
> On a related note, why is it saying 5.0 points required if in
> MailScanner.conf I have
>
> Required SpamAssassin Score = 4.7
>
> Do I also have to define required_hits 4.70 in spam.assassin.prefs.conf?

For many years, in my mailscanner.cf, which configures SpamAssassin, I
have had this:

# Note that required_score can actually be set via MailScanner.conf option
# "Required SpamAssassin Score", but when you do that, the value used by
# the _REQD_ template macro below is not changed.  Hence, we change the score
# within SpamAssassin itself to match.
# Ensure this matches MailScanner/rules/scores.rules
required_score  6.5

And regarding the template, I have:

# SA's 10_default_prefs.cf contains the template for the default (long) report,
# which is placed in reports via MailScanner's $longspamreport variable.
# However in Message.pm, MailScanner crops off the initial text from the
# report, matching: $salongreport =~ s/^.* pts rule name/ pts rule name/;
# We modify the format of the report slightly here by adding some extra
# stuff, but we need to ensure we don't tamper with that pattern match.

clear_report_template
#report Spam detection software, running on the system "_HOSTNAME_", has
#report identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original message
#report has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label
#report similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
#report _CONTACTADDRESS_ for details.
#report
#report Content preview:  _PREVIEW_
#report
#report Content analysis details:   (_SCORE_ points, _REQD_ required)
#report
report " pts rule name              description"
report _SUMMARY_
report
report (_SCORE_ points scored, over _REQD_ points req'd to be tagged as spam)

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK