hostname variable in attachment replacement

Erik Bloodaxe E.Bloodaxe at gold.ac.uk
Mon Aug 10 17:14:06 IST 2009

Glenn Steen wrote:
>> I solved it as suggested by adding a
>> HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
>> export HOSTNAME
>>
>> to the start up script, but this should work out of the box.
>>

> I agree. Could you set it like I outline above, just to see if it
> makes a difference?

It does make the diffrence.
>> I suspect this is related to the various diffrent notions of domain and host
>> name under Linux (solaris is simpler here)
>>
> ... There can be only one!:-)

There is dnsdomainname and domainname which is the nis/YP domainname
these can be diffrent.
There as discovered is the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network, which the
out of the box install seems to leave as HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
while domainname returns blank.
>> on the box the dns domain name is set but the domiain name not!
>>

> Sounds like it is jumbled then. Try setting it as suggested and do a
> reboot (perhaps make sure your "login script hack" is disabled).

Jumbled is slightly subjective given it is out of the box!  Perhaps a RH
bug?

 From my prespective it is fixed.  BTW I never said but I am using the
TAR version not the RPM!

Erik