Header Question

Steven Andrews sandrews at andrewscompanies.com
Fri Aug 7 17:42:10 IST 2009

This might be a tad off-topic, but is there any way in sendmail or
mailscanner that can remove internal, non-routable, ip addresses from
the headers (or fake them with public IP addresses)?  Our layout on
outbound is exchange to exchange to sendmail/mailscanner on the
outbound.  We're not scanning spam on outbound.

Had trouble with a company called mailwatch.com today that is using some
obscure RBL called FIVETEN and if you test a non-route such as
192.168.1.20 against it, it hits, so we showed blacklisted.  The snarky
thing is this company does this ahead of their customer's options and
reporting so they have no knowledge or control over it.  Of course, this
breaks RFC1918 as I understand it.  It was dumb luck that we got a tech
on the phone that saw the non-routes and knew that's what was causing
it, even though it shouldn't.

Any thoughts?

Steven R. Andrews, President
Andrews Companies Incorporated
Small Business Information Technology Consultants
sandrews at andrewscompanies.com
Phone: 317.536.1807

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."