hostname variable in attachment replacement

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 7 15:23:12 IST 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Randal, Phil wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>> "$HOSTNAME" shouldn't work in the reports, only in MailScanner.conf.
>> But "$hostname" should work in the reports.
>>
>> Jules
>
> But it doesn't seem to.
>
> It is a low priority for me at the moment, and my test box is a VM at
> home, so it will take me a while to figure out what's going on.
> Cheers,
> Phil

Hmmm... I think there are many of us here on this list who are expecting
the variable to have been automatically set prior to the point of use with
a reasonable default (e.g. from "uname -n" or "/bin/hostname" or similar)
but who are finding it empty/unset.  (There may well be others here, for
whom a default is being set.)

The human expectation and the computer-code reality don't marry up;
something somewhere (either human or machine) is going astray.

Wouldn't it help if the MS start up code could have something like:
    if not set/inherited ... then set to something '/bin/hostname'-ish.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :