hostname variable in attachment replacement

Randal, Phil prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk
Fri Aug 7 08:07:08 IST 2009

Julian Field wrote:
> On 06/08/2009 16:21, David Lee wrote:
>> Dare I say "me, too"?
>>
>> I seem to recall reporting this (empty 'HOSTNAME') a few years ago.
>> We're now on CentOS 5.3 with MS 4.76.24, and a configuration that
>> tries not to change things unnecessarily.  Still seeing it (although
>> our MS configuration only rarely invokes pathways that need it.)
>>
>> I get the feeling that the _intended_ behaviour is for MS's
>> "HOSTNAME" variable to try to inherit a default value from somewhere
>> (i.e. to try to avoid being empty).
>>
>> This intention might be the result of "uname -n" or similar, and
>> probably for a shell HOSTNAME variable, if any, to override it.  Fair
>> enough. Indeed, when I ssh to a box, there is such a variable
>> present on such a login.
>>
>> But I suspect that, on a reasonably "out of the box"
>> Fedora/CentOS/Redhat installation, by the time "/etc/init.d" is
>> starting MS, neither is HOSTNAME yet set, nor is MS getting it from
>> executing "uname -n" (or similar).
>>
>> Shouldn't the startup algorithm be something like (pseudo-perl):
>>
>>    $HOSTNAME = if $ENV{'HOSTNAME'} was set
>>                then $ENV{'HOSTNAME'}
>>                else `uname -n`;
>>                # i.e. inherit env.var. HOSTNAME
>>                # else fall back to using system hostname
>>
>> Sorry that's so vague.  But I hope it helps.
>>

>> Jules: could you (a) confirm the intention (for HOSTNAME to be
>> non-empty) (b) outline the intended algorithm to achieve that at
>> "/etc/init.d"-driven startup?
> It doesn't currently call uname or anything like that at all. If
> $ENV{'HOSTNAME'} is not set, and you had "Hostname = $HOSTNAME" or
> similar in your MailScanner.conf, then you will end up with an empty
> "Hostname" setting.
>
> Jules

Well, it is set on my boxes, and not messed with in the init scripts, so
I'm still at a loss.

Phil
--
Phil Randal | Networks Engineer
Herefordshire Council | Deputy Chief Executive's Office | I.C.T.
email: prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of
the individual and not necessarily those of Herefordshire Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material
protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that
any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error
please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.