hostname variable in attachment replacement

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 6 16:21:00 IST 2009

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Randal, Phil wrote:

> Erik Bloodaxe wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> I see that on CentOS 5.3 too, so it is no just your installation.

Dare I say "me, too"?

I seem to recall reporting this (empty 'HOSTNAME') a few years ago.
We're now on CentOS 5.3 with MS 4.76.24, and a configuration that tries
not to change things unnecessarily.  Still seeing it (although our MS
configuration only rarely invokes pathways that need it.)

I get the feeling that the _intended_ behaviour is for MS's "HOSTNAME"
variable to try to inherit a default value from somewhere (i.e. to try to
avoid being empty).

This intention might be the result of "uname -n" or similar, and probably
for a shell HOSTNAME variable, if any, to override it.  Fair enough.
Indeed, when I ssh to a box, there is such a variable present on such a
login.

But I suspect that, on a reasonably "out of the box" Fedora/CentOS/Redhat
installation, by the time "/etc/init.d" is starting MS, neither is
HOSTNAME yet set, nor is MS getting it from executing "uname -n" (or
similar).

Shouldn't the startup algorithm be something like (pseudo-perl):

    $HOSTNAME = if $ENV{'HOSTNAME'} was set
                then $ENV{'HOSTNAME'}
                else `uname -n`;
                # i.e. inherit env.var. HOSTNAME
                # else fall back to using system hostname

Sorry that's so vague.  But I hope it helps.

Jules: could you (a) confirm the intention (for HOSTNAME to be non-empty)
(b) outline the intended algorithm to achieve that at "/etc/init.d"-driven
startup?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :