hostname variable in attachment replacement

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:53:35 IST 2009

2009/8/6 Erik Bloodaxe <E.Bloodaxe at gold.ac.uk>:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>>

>>> # grep Hostname /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
>>> # definition of "Hostname" for an example.
>>> # Hostname = the %org-name% ($HOSTNAME) MailScanner
>>> #Hostname = the %org-name% ($HOSTNAME) MailScanner
>>> Hostname = the %org-name% MailScanner (on $HOSTNAME)
>>>
>>> And HOSTNAME cones out as blank.
>>
>> Unfortunate.
>
> Am I to conclude that there is no solution then?
>
> Erik

Erik,
I suspect you may not have set your host(s) name(s) correctly
(inferred from your first comment). Setting it can differ a bit
depending on the rc-scripts involved, but on most RH-type installs you
either have to correctly set up nsswitch.cnf (and friends, for yp/NIS
"disabed" systems:-) or the /etc/sysconfig/network file (simply put a
line with HOSTNAME=<your hosts FQDN> in there). If you haven't done
that, gethostbyname or gethostname will  fail to return the name and
thus give the result you see.
An alternative (if CentOS 5.3 has changed things in a drastic way:-)
would be to call hostname (see the manpage) in /etc/rc.local, but...
This has been like this for ages, so I suspect you wouldn't need to.

Having either the NIS stuff correct, or the file (if you don't use NIS
for this), will make some appropriate rc-script run the hostname
command for you upon reboot... So, as usual, you don't really need
reboot, just fix the config and run the command by hand.

As usual, especially when I'm fresh back from vacation, I might be
totally wrong;-).
Cheers
--
-- Glenn