MailScanner slowwing down

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Thu Apr 30 21:59:51 IST 2009

I was looking at those yesterday because I was running the load average
up to 10 or 12 in spurts. My box has a Sempron 2200 and a gig of RAM, so
it does swap when it gets busy. I can upgrade to a machine that's half
again faster with twice the memory for the same monthly fee, but I'd
have to run both during the transition and it would take a ton of time
to move everything over. (It's a webserver for a couple of dozen domains
and my secondary name server.)

I told Sendmail to stop accepting connections at load average of 6,
which kept the load average from trying to get to 50. (Yes, I have seen
the la go that high, although not on this system. It ain't pretty!)

I dropped the child count from five to three, which seemed to help -
each child just took bigger bites and the throughput didn't seem to be
affected.

One thing that looked appealing was setting up a caching nameserver, but
all the docs I ran into assumed that you weren't already running BIND on
the box and that you wanted to cache your local network, so I was too
confused to get that running. (I do have everything installed, just need
to figure out the config.)

I did add pause-greet to the Sendmail config, it blocked at least a
hundred messages overnight. Not a big change, but the price is right.

I'm thinking about setting up greylisting, it will cut down on the MS
load and should spread out the surges a little.

I guess I should have expected things to slow down when I leapfrogged so
many versions on Tuesday. Now I've got to figure out how to get it back
in control or bite the bullet and get some more horsepower.

Van

Martin Hepworth wrote:
> See
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#optimization_tips
>
> and
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#getting_the_best_out_of_spamassassin
>
> Dropping unknown recipients and having a local caching nameserver are
> generally the first things to sort, then look at the number of
> children and batch size...
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Oxford, UK
>
> 2009/4/30 Mail Admin <mailadmin at midland-ics.ie
> <mailto:mailadmin at midland-ics.ie>>
>
>     Hi All,
>

>     Recently I am finding that the amount of incoming mail through my
>     MailScanner Server  is really slowing down things.  There is a
>     heavy load now since I took on a domain that seems to me well
>     spammed. Yesterdays processing processed 22,000 emails @88% Spam
>     approx.
>
>     Server Spec POWEREDGE 1850 XEON 2.8GHZ/2MB 800FSB – WITH 2 GIG RAM
>     and RAID 1  Configuration on two Disks RPM 10K… Its Running Fedora
>     Core 5, Send Mail 8.13.8-1.fc5 with MailScanner 4.69.7-1 with SA,
>     Razor, DCC., MailWatch V1
>
>     Its working very well blocking spam, but only in the last couple
>     of days its got really slow.
>
>     Any ideas on how to reduce the load on this server>? By blocking
>     mail at the MTA before it hits MS? OR Tweaking my processes?
>
>     What do the Experts think on the Server Spec, for the amount of
>     traffic?
>
>     I’d appreciate any help
>

>     Regards
>
>     Kevin
>

>     This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee(s) and is
>     strictly confidential. The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying
>     of this e-mail, or any information it contains is prohibited. If
>     you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
>     immediately and then permanently delete it. Although we make every
>     effort to keep our systems free from viruses, you should check
>     this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we cannot
>     accept any liability for viruses inadvertently transmitted by use.
>

>     --
>
>     Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting
>
>     Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/