Startup errors after major upgrade

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Apr 29 22:10:56 IST 2009

Jules,

To the first, you were dead on. I originally copied the lines from the
default filename rules and just changed "deny" to "allow". It didn't
generate any errors before.

To the second, the error lists three characters that aren't allowed, and
I'm not using any of them. I didn't change the string, it's the same as
it has been for the two and a half years since this machine was setup.
It also failed with square brackets, and with just a semi-colon before
the server name. I ended up with this:
    Mail Header = X-%org-name%-VanguardMailScanner:

I really don't like confusing my server name with your product name, but
without at least some non-alpha character that works it's difficult.

Van

Julian Field wrote:

> On 29/04/2009 04:05, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
>> Okay, I just installed MailScanner 4.75.11 over an existing
>> installation, which was 4.57.6. When I restarted MS I got a few
>> complaints about spaces that should have been tabs in a couple of
>> domain-specific rule files, which I took care of.
>>
>> Well, I guess not. I'm still getting this one:
>>
>> Possible syntax error on line 14 of
>> /etc/MailScanner/filename.tlc.conf at
>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 1472
>> Remember to separate fields with tab characters! at
>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 1474
>>
>> Line 14 of that file is the "allow" line below, and the space after
>> allow and the space between $ and Found are both single tabs.
>>
>> # Allow all other double file extensions. Specifically for
>> ClickAndPledge.com
>> allow   \.[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,3}\s*\.[a-z0-9]{3}$   Found possible
>> filename hiding
> If you look at the other "allow" and "deny" lines, they have 2 strings
> after the regexp. Both of which, in an allow, are normally "-" as they
> are not used. But there must be **2* of them!
>

>> The main problem, I think, is this one:
>>
>> Your setting "Mail Header" contains illegal characters.
>> This is most likely caused by your "%org-name%" setting
>> which must not contain any spaces, "." or "_" characters
>> as these are known to cause problems with many mail systems.
>>
>> I believe these are the applicable lines out of MailScanner.conf:
>>
>> %org-name% = DomainVanHorn
>>
>> Mail Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner(vanguard):
> Are () brackets allowed in mail header names? I don't think they are.
>>
>> I sent myself a test message, and here is a chunk out of the source
>> of the message I got back:
>>
>> Subject: test
>>

>> Odd that my server and SpamBayes both say it's clean, but my ISP
>> considered it spam (WNSpam at 6.3, on that system 3.5 is a good
>> default for the cutoff.) But the MS headers seem to be working
>> coherently, and without any spaces that I can see.
>>
>> Can these be ignored, or do I have to worry about them?
>>
>> Van
>>

> Jules

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/