OT: Bounced Email

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at trunknetworks.com
Mon Apr 27 18:57:35 IST 2009

On 27 Apr 2009, at 18:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:10:19 +0100:
>
>> Oh knickers, so I have. Ok, should be fixed now.
>
> Still broken ;-) You are adding the message-id now again, but the
> References and In-Reply-To header are still wrong.

> this message-id doesn't exist at all!

That would be because I was replying to a message that came through
before I fixed it. This one should be fine (I hope!)

> This result could happen if you also strip *incoming* headers. Then
> the
> message-id of the incoming message gets removed, gets replaced by your
> server and when you reply the wrong message-id is used because the
> original one got removed.

That is almost exactly that was happening. All inbound mail is scanned
by 'edge' boxes, then handed off to a delivery server (out-b) and then
to the mail box server. The Message-id header was being stripped at
the edge, then replaced by out-b, which caused the invalid message-id
problem (Which I then replied to etc, etc).

I think we are there now (Fingers crossed!).

Drew