Stop incoming mail if message queue exceeds set value

Gary Pentland gary at sgluk.com
Mon Apr 27 11:46:44 IST 2009

Hi,

Look here...

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/tweaking_config.html

Particularly these...

confQUEUE_LA QueueLA [varies] Load average at which queue-only function kicks in. Default values is (8 * numproc) where numproc is the number of processors online (if that can be determined).

confREFUSE_LA RefuseLA [varies] Load average at which incoming SMTP connections are refused. Default values is (12 * numproc) where numproc is the number of processors online (if that can be determined).

confDELAY_LA DelayLA [0] Load average at which sendmail will sleep for one second on most SMTP commands and before accepting connections. 0 means no limit.

But a few others might be of use.  Be sure you're rejecting invalid recipients during the SMTP dialouge and not at some stage later.  It sounds obvious but can easily be missed and result in 1,000s of messages from a bot being queued and work being done on them, reject these before you queue them!

Regards,

Gary