Stop incoming mail if message queue exceeds set value

Gordon Colyn gordon at itnt.co.za
Mon Apr 27 11:31:06 IST 2009

I am running a round robin dns mail solution with 4 mailscanner servers
accepting mail.  The problem I am having is that on occasion 1 of the
servers gets hit with massive volumes over a very short time so the queue
can grow to 5000+ in a matter of minutes causing mail delivery delays on
that specific server.  I would like to be able to set a limit on the queue
size so that the server stops accepting mail until the queue drops below
that set value.

I have tried with sendmail creating 2 cf files but can't get it working.
Does this have to be managed by mailscanner, r can it be done in sendmail?

Currently using sendmail-8.14.1 and Mailscanner 4.63.8

Thanks

Gordon Colyn
Office : 086 123 ITNT (4868)
Cell : 083 296 7534
Fax : 086 520 0885
InTheNet Technologies
www.itnt.co.za
MSN:gordoncolyn at hotmail.com
SKYPE:gordoncolyn <skype:gordoncolyn?call>

Confidentiality: This e-mail including any attachments is intended for the
above named addressee(s) only and contains confidential information. If you
have received this email in error you must take no action based on its
contents, nor must you reproduce or show the e-mail or any attachments or
any part thereof or communicate the contents to anyone; please reply to the
sender of this e-mail informing them of the error.

Viruses: We recommend that in keeping with good computing practice the
recipient should ensure that e-mails received are virus free before opening.

database 4035 (20090425) __________

http://www.eset.com