Preventing multple signatures in email conversation?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sat Apr 25 21:31:26 IST 2009

Julian Field wrote on Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:17:42 +0100:

> There is
> Allow Multiple HTML Signatures = no
> which uses a marker in the HTML Signature to know not to add the
> signature again, but with text signatures there is no way of inserting
> "hidden text" in any way so that we would know not to add the signature
> again.
> There is also
> Dont Sign HTML If Headers Exist = # In-Reply-To: References:
> so it detects when not to add the HTML signature. Unfortunately I can't
> tell if the text signature has already been added, without searching the
> entire message for signs of the signature, which would be really slow
> and unreliable as a correspondent's email app may have re-wrapped the
> text in the message, so you can't just search for matching lines. It
> would be very slow with multi-line sigs especially.

I don't think this applies here, HTML or not. As I understand the point is
that sending a message back and forth between two correspondents four times
you may have 8 signatures in the end, most of them somewhere in the quoted
text. He wants to have these signatures removed if I understand correctly.

The options you mention can help with accidental double-adding of a
signature by MailScanner (not sure in which scenario that could happen,
maybe if you have more than one gateway server and all of them could be
used), but not if a signature is already present somewhere deep in the
mail, right?

One possible way with text signatures might be to remove all lines that
start with a signature marker and the next lines until it reaches a blank
line or exceeds four lines. Might FP sometimes. But for that you have to
scan the message completely. As I understand you wanted to avoid this.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany