Signatures...

Jason Ede J.Ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 12:18:01 IST 2009

I'm trying this beta on a CentOS 5.3 box (just updated from 5.2 to 5.3 and had a working 4.75 ver of MailScanner on it).

The install fails. That attached log is from the second time of running it... By jiggling the order of the modules in install.sh round I can get it to install, but when I try a --lint it hangs just after Virus Scanning: Clamd found 2 infections for a good couple of minutes. It didn't do this with 4.75.

[root at smtp ~]# MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Read 852 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 5616 hostnames from the phishing blacklist
Checking version numbers...
Version installed (4.76.17) does not match version stated in
MailScanner.conf file (4.75.11), you may want to run upgrade_MailScanner_conf
to ensure your MailScanner.conf file contains all the latest settings.

Unrar is not installed, it should be in /usr/local/bin/unrar.
This is required for RAR archives to be read to check
filenames and filetypes. Virus scanning is not affected.

Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
MailScanner setting GID to  (89)
MailScanner setting UID to  (89)

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamd mcafee"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd, mcafee
Filename Checks: Windows/DOS Executable (1 eicar.com)
Other Checks: Found 1 problems
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
Clamd::INFECTED:: Eicar-Test-Signature :: ./1/
Clamd::INFECTED:: Eicar-Test-Signature :: ./1/eicar.com
Virus Scanning: Clamd found 2 infections

------------

/1/eicar.com        Found: EICAR test file NOT a virus.
/1.message/icar.com        Found: EICAR test file NOT a virus.
Virus Scanning: McAfee found 2 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 4 viruses

If any of your virus scanners (clamd,mcafee)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

I'm guessing this is a centos issue since the other box I upgraded to 5.3 is now processing slower than it was before and takes an age to start up. I've looked at the thread MailScanner, CentOS 5 and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp which I guess is related.

If I then start MailScanner and put an email into the queue nothing happened. I think something is timing out, but don't know where to look. MailScanner -V (output below) takes ages to produce the output below.

Jason

MailScanner -V
Running on
Linux smtp.birchenallhowden.com 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 09:10:25 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
This is CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)

This is MailScanner version 4.76.17
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.16    Archive::Zip
0.23    bignum
1.04    Carp
1.41    Compress::Zlib
1.119   Convert::BinHex
0.17    Convert::TNEF
2.121_08        Data::Dumper
2.27    Date::Parse
1.00    DirHandle
1.05    Fcntl
2.74    File::Basename
2.09    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.08    File::Path
0.20    File::Temp
0.90    Filesys::Df
1.35    HTML::Entities
3.56    HTML::Parser
2.37    HTML::TokeParser
1.23    IO
1.14    IO::File
1.13    IO::Pipe
2.04    Mail::Header
1.89    Math::BigInt
0.22    Math::BigRat
3.07    MIME::Base64
5.427   MIME::Decoder
5.427   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.427   MIME::Head
5.427   MIME::Parser
3.07    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.427   MIME::Tools
0.13    Net::CIDR
1.25    Net::IP
0.16    OLE::Storage_Lite
1.04    Pod::Escapes
3.05    Pod::Simple
1.09    POSIX
1.19    Scalar::Util
1.78    Socket
2.16    Storable
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.27    Sys::Syslog
1.26    Test::Pod
0.86    Test::Simple
1.9715  Time::HiRes
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.30    Archive::Tar
0.23    bignum
missing Business::ISBN
missing Business::ISBN::Data
missing Data::Dump
1.814   DB_File
1.21    DBD::SQLite
1.607   DBI
1.14    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.36    Digest::MD5
2.11    Digest::SHA1
missing Encode::Detect
0.17011 Error
missing ExtUtils::CBuilder
missing ExtUtils::ParseXS
2.38    Getopt::Long
missing Inline
missing IO::String
1.04    IO::Zlib
missing IP::Country
missing Mail::ClamAV
3.002004        Mail::SpamAssassin
v2.005  Mail::SPF
1.999001        Mail::SPF::Query
0.2808  Module::Build
0.20    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.65    Net::DNS
v0.003  Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
missing Net::LDAP
 4.007  NetAddr::IP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI