MailScanner installer

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 14:08:30 IST 2009

On 22/4/09 10:56, David Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> Right, I have just finished a good weekend's work on the installer,
>> and all the Perl modules it installs.
>> Most of the Perl modules have been upgraded for starters.
>>
>> The installer no longer "forces" the install of any Perl module. So
>> you can upgrade Perl independently at any time without it clashing
>> with any of MailScanner's Perl modules. Hopefully this will make
>> quite a few of you happier :-)
>>
>> All modules install cleanly on RedHat Enterprise 4 and 5, CentOS 4
>> and 5, and Fedora Core 9 and 10. Those are what I have tested it on
>> and ironed out all the problems on.
>>
>> There are several command-line options to the installer that you
>> should know about. "./install.sh --help" will print these.
>
> Julian: This is a great improvement.  Many, many thanks.
>
> I've just been trying it on a CentOS 5.3 (actually 5.2 upgraded to
> 5.3) with MS 4.76.14 (yesterday) and 4.76.15 (today).
>
> It seems to be working almost flawlessly.  That is, on a repeated MS
> "./install.sh fast" almost all modules give:
>    Oh good, module File-Spec version 0.82 is already installed.
>    etc.
>
> Almost.  But TimeDate is being recalcitrant.  It is consistently
> re-installing:
>    Attempting to build and install perl-TimeDate-1.16-4
>    Installing perl-TimeDate-1.16-4.src.rpm
>    [... lots of build info ...]
>    Preparing...
>            package perl-TimeDate-1.16-5.el5.noarch (which is newer
> than perl-TimeDate-1.16-4.noarch) is already installed
I have found a very simple solution to this. On a system without
MailScanner installed, it just automatically does a './install.sh
reinstall' which solves the problem very easily.

This will be in the next release so you can try it.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM