Mangled MIME Headers in plain text mail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 17:44:56 IST 2009

I've just tested your message against my copy of MailScanner, the latest
released version.
It puts the plain-text signature at the end of the first plain-text bit
of text, and it puts the HTML signature at the end of the HTML bit of
text, just as I intended.

It doesn't create any new MIME parts for the signature at all, as I
didn't think it would.

So I don't know where those signatures are coming from, but I sure
cannot reproduce this. MailScanner doesn't create new message MIME parts
when it adds signatures, feel free to read the code.

Jules.

On 21/4/09 17:05, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:39:26AM +0100, Drew Marshall wrote:
>
>> Sorry Kai took a while to get another one in. It's fairly
>> intermittent. So here it is
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/m28c03d06
>>
>> I am sure I could find more examples.
>>

> The message at the above link is defective. It appears that MailScanner
> is in fact doing the wrong thing. Jules will have to look at it and
> confirm, but here's what I see.
>
> It appears that the original message had MIME structure
>
> multipart/related
>      multipart/alternative
>          text/html  (the rich text alternative)
>      image/jpeg (an image referenced by the HTML part)
>
> Then the MailScanner signature is added as follows:
>
> multipart/related
>      multipart/alternative
>          text/html  (the rich text alternative)
>      image/jpeg (an image referenced by the HTML part)
>
> This is clearly wrong. There are a couple of ways the signature could be
> added. One would be to insert it in the already multipart message.
>
> multipart/related
>      text/plain  ((the MailScanner signature)
>      multipart/alternative
>          text/html  (the rich text alternative)
>      image/jpeg (an image referenced by the HTML part)
>
> Another would be to recast the message as multipart mixed with the first
> part being the signature and the second part being the original message.
>
> multipart/mixed
>      text/plain   (the MailScanner signature)
>      multipart/related
>          multipart/alternative
>              text/html  (the rich text alternative)
>          image/jpeg (an image referenced by the HTML part)
>
> In any case, inserting the signature as another alternative within the
> multipart/alternative part is clearly wrong.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM