Mangled MIME Headers in plain text mail

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at trunknetworks.com
Sat Apr 18 21:28:10 IST 2009

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*
This one has been causing me loads of grief now for a little while. I
have tried all sorts of things such as using blank signatures but the
plain text section of a HTML mail 'goes missing'. I thought it might
have something to do with the fix that Jules rolled out in the latest
beta caused by the Mail application in OS X but I am now running the
latest beta and the problem has not gone.

To explain more, it seems that plain text only mails are fine,
processed, signature added and all is well. Combined HTML and plain
text mail the HTML section is fine and as that is the default view of
most mail clients, no problem. However, if you then view this mail in
plain text such as you might on a blackberry or other mobile type
device the actual message is not visible, only the clean mail
signature. When I look at the the raw message, it is there but beneath
the signature and (I am no expert in MIME formatting) seems to be set
with a different structure that the signature and hence not visible to
'simple' clients (If you view the message in a half decent client, the
message is visible under the signature).

For example this is part of a raw message:

------_=_NextPart_6334_00018467.00000041

--=20
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by=20
the Mail Launder e-mail system.
For more information please visit http://www.mail-launder.com=20

------_=_NextPart_6334_00018467.00000041

<-- The text from here is not visible in a plain text view -->

I can't  see any particular commonality in clients although I did
originally think it was Thunderbird but Outlook also has been involved
in mail that displays this problem. Prior to the current beta being
installed, I did have one user who had her out bound mail (From
Outlook) sent as plain text attachments with just the signature
actually in the message. I haven't heard of any more of these but I
guess most people don't get formatting feed back for mail they send :-)

Any one else seeing this behaviour? Any ideas how it could be fixed?

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
content by our Mail Launder system www.mail-launder.com

Trunk Networks Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 351063
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ