MailScanner-4.76.10-2 can't install Test::Pod

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 14 09:05:31 IST 2009

On 14/4/09 05:24, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Randal, Phil wrote:
>

>> On CentOS 5.3, 64-bit.
>>
>> /install.sh .....
>>
>> + umask 022
>> + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
>> + LANG=C
>> + export LANG
>> + unset DISPLAY
>> + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
>> + rm -rf Test-Pod-1.26
>> + /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/Test-Pod-1.26.tar.gz
>> + tar -xf -
>> + STATUS=0
>> + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
>> + cd Test-Pod-1.26
>> ++ /usr/bin/id -u
>> + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
>> + /bin/chown -Rhf root .
>> ++ /usr/bin/id -u
>> + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
>> + /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
>> + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
>> + exit 0
>> Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.68510
>> + umask 022
>> + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
>> + cd Test-Pod-1.26
>> + LANG=C
>> + export LANG
>> + unset DISPLAY
>> + CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
>> -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic'
>> + perl Makefile.PL
>> Checking if your kit is complete...
>> Looks good
>> Warning: prerequisite Test::More 0.62 not found. We have 0.6.
>>

> This is the problem.
>
> The rpm build process is getting
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Test/More.pm
> which is version 0.60 and which produces slightly different messages
> from what the tests expect so some fail.
>
> I did the following:
>
> cd /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi
> mv Test Test.dont.want.these.old.ones
>
> and that allowed Test::Pod to build and install.

I have just tried an installation on CentOS 5.3 x86_64 and it installs
just fine. My modules install in the "vendor" paths, just like the ones
in rpmforge, so any troublesome ones in "site" paths will cause
problems. It's difficult to do much else, there are too many
permutations of all the directories involved to be able to test every
variant. But I'll have a think about it, nonetheless. I can't go
removing the site version when I install my vendor version, I don't like
the whole idea of starting *deleting* files from your system in my
installer. So I cannot guarantee that me installing my vendor version
will actually change the version that is used by your system. It's a
hazard of the whole module-path system. Java hits the same problem with
its class-path system, I think.

The only thing I can think of is messing with the module-path so that
the vendor directories always come before the site directories, but that
rather breaks the idea of having a site directory. I'm a vendor, I
should be using vendor directories. I shouldn't mess with your site
directories, they are there for you to mess with if you need to.

Any thoughts?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng