Spamhaus usage policy

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Apr 13 19:48:03 IST 2009

on 4-10-2009 11:46 AM Stephen Swaney spake the following:
> I'm examining the feasibility of providing Spamhaus and other "for" pay RBL
> servers / services for our customers. I've had to read the "fine print" in
> the Usage policies to see who needs to buy the services and I've come across
> some information I think is worth sharing with the list.
>
> Below is a recap of the Spamhaus usage policy but please see:
> http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html for the complete
> Spamhaus Usage Policy Statement!
>
> Spamhaus RBL Usage Policies
> ----------------------------
>
> The use of the Spamhaus ZEN list via DNS queries to their public DNSBL
> servers is free of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:
> 1.	Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
> 2.	Your email traffic is less than 100,000 SMTP connections** per day,
> and
> 3.	Your DNSBL query volume is less than 300,000 queries per day.
>
> *Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as part
> or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which a fee is
> charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam filtering
> appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed, regardless of
> use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering software and
> commercial spam filtering services.
>
> A company that uses the Spamhaus DNSBLs solely to filter their own email
> qualifies as a non-commercial user and may use our free public DNSBLs if
> that company's email volume and DNSBL query volume is below the free use
> limits. The same is true for any non-profit organization, school, religious
> organization, or private individual who operates their own mail server.
>
> ** (my guess) This would equate to approximately 3,500 mail boxes.
>

> This means that any site that uses any type of commercial software to scan
> for spam MUST license the Spamhaus feed to use it.
>
> But the converse is also true!
>
> If you use only MailScanner and other open Source software and:
>
> 2.	Your email traffic is less than 100,000 SMTP connections per day,
> and
> 3.	Your DNSBL query volume is less than 300,000 queries per day.
>
> You can use / query Spamhaus at no charge. I have confirmed that this is
> correct with a Spamhaus re-seller.
>
> I just thought that some might find this information useful
>
> Steve

I got blacklisted for MUCH less than half of those amounts. My server doesn't
go anywhere near 100,000 connections a day, or 300,000 queries a day. And good
luck getting spamhaus to reply to ANY e-mails asking about it.

If they decide to blacklist you, it will be arbitrarily below the stated
amounts, and you will never get an answer if you ask for how they arrived at it.