MailScanner installer

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 13 16:32:54 IST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:24:23AM +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> I have done quite a bit of testing on this installer, but please do try
> it on your individual systems and check that it all works and produces a
> working system.

It seems I was a bit quick, so this report may be moot, but yesterday I
ran through the following scenario on CentOS 5.

1) Upgraded from MailScanner 4.76.3-1 to 4.76.7-1 with "./install.sh fast"
   and restarted MailScanner. This went fine as usual.

2) Attempted "yum upgrage perl" to 5.8.8-18 from some earlier 5.8.8
   version. This complained about two file conflicts -
   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm and an associated man page.

3) Ran MailScanner's "./install.sh reinstall fast". After this, ran
   "find /usr/lib/perl5 -name Temp.pm" and the only one found was
   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm.

4) Attempted "yum upgrade perl" again expecting the results in 2), but
   to my surprise it succeeded.

5) Attempted to restart Mailscanner and it died complaining about
   File::Temp being version 0.16.

6) Ran MailScanner's "./install.sh fast". This time it installed Temp.pm
   version 0.20 in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm and
   left version 0.16 in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm, and
   MailScanner subsequently started happily.

So it seems like there was some glitch getting started, but everything
will be OK going forward. Today I will upgrade to 4.76.10-2.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,