Filter incoming mail from

Chuck Rock carock at epconline.com
Tue Apr 7 15:43:38 IST 2009

Kai Schaetzl <maillists <at> conactive.com> writes:

> Chuck Rock wrote on Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:28:05 +0000 (UTC):
>
> > I'm not using SpamAssassin, just MailScanner with antivirus.
>
> However, SA is just for that, so use it. Don't abuse other tools for
> things they were not made for.
>
> Kai

I can't overload these boxes with extra scanning. MailScanner/Sendmail is
maxing out CPU and memory and adding SA will make them backlog mail for
scanning until there's no possible way to catch up.

They scan about 100 msgs per second and get hit with 1000 messages a second
sometimes. These are quad Xeon boxes with 6 Gig RAM running clamd and
MailScanner 4.61.7. Running clamscan instead of clamd used too much CPU for
them to keep up. I have two identical boxes running with round robin and about
once per year, they will get hit so hard I have to take one out of service to
catch up over 12 hours or so. I can't realistically add another process to the
cpu unless it's going to make up for it somewhere else.

Thanks,
Chuck

p.s. bottom posting sucks