MailScanner archive question

Jose Perez jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:10:08 IST 2009

Hi People:

I'm using MailScanner 4.74.16 with Archiving feature like this:

Archive Mail = Archive Mail = %rules-dir%/mail.archiving.rules

The content of %rules-dir%/mail.archiving.rules is this:

To:       *@mydomain.com
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomain.com/_TOUSER_/_DATE_/Received
From:   *@mydomain.com
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomain.com/_FROMUSER_/_DATE_/Sent

This is working fine, all mydomain.com users that send and receive
e-mail are getting their messages archived but MailScanner it's doing
something I believe is wrong.

Only when some external user (some user at Internet, outside
mydomain.com) sends a message to somebody of mydomain.com with CC
(copies) to other people of external domains (i.e hotmail.com,
yahoo.com) then MailScanner is creating also a directory under
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomain.com/ with the name (only user
part without @domain.com) of those users who received the copies but
aren't mydomain.com, so I'm seeing how now exists more directories
than users of mydomain.com under
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomain.com/

I mean, if jvoorhees1 at gmail.com send a message to admin at mydomain.com
with CC to bgates at hotmail.com then MailScanner creates the file
Received under the
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomain.com/bgates/20090326/

How can I prevent MailScanner of creating directories of external users?

I hope someone can give me some advice, thanks. Bye!