OT: Question

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Apr 3 21:58:47 IST 2009

Rick Cooper wrote:

> [...]

Rick,
For the record, we do all this and more, as do most ISPs. We walk a line
between the net neutrality folks and the DPI guys. Freedom is something
with REAL value on the Internet, and it IS in peril. But, ISPs don't
have to be draconian to be good netitizens, and it doesn't make them
ambivalent if policies don't all line up with your top 10 pet peeves.

> I am not saying ask customers to do anything... Make rules and enforce them,
> people do what is required much more consistantly than what is requested.
> And, IMHO, any ISP that goes "wild west" and allows "whatever" should not be
> in business, they are bad for everyone's business.

We are talking about SPF, so I think you are going a little "wild west"
with the topic ;-) I hope that my attempt to explain that deficiencies
in SPF combined with the inconvenience that is forces on customers is
not construed to be a 'whatever' policy. I think we can disagree without
that sort of creative extrapolation..

> This is normal civil interaction in almost every instance of any community
> except that of the internet. And BTW, people who sell heroin are just trying
> to make a buck too... Why should they give a crap what their making a buck
> does to their communities any more than an ISP who runs a loose ship?

Again, we are talking about SPF, which is a bit of a weak attempt at
containing a problem that exists due to spammers, not customers. ISPs
must choose what to enforce, and what to request of customers based on
the /real/ impact.

For example, blocking outgoing port 25 traffic from dynamic space is a
good thing to do. Blocking 110 and 143, as you suggested earlier is not
a good thing to do, at least not for an ISP. The corporate and edu
worlds are quite different.

Have a nice weekend,
Ken