OT: Question

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Apr 3 20:53:10 IST 2009

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Ken A wrote:
>
>> Why not use it? It's usable only if you understand it, and it can
>> be 'inconvenient' for customers to have to send through a defined
>> list of outgoing servers.
>
> Um, maybe I'm just a lot slower than the rest of you, but I think
> "It's usable only if you understand it" applies to
> sendmail/postfix/MailScanner, etc. just as well.  That's why we're
> not being paid minimum wage.  This job requires a bit of thinking.
> If set up right on the back end, there's very little the customer has
> to do.  For a customer to send, they *have* to configure their mail
> client with an outgoing server.  The mail has to be sent somewhere.
> If they can figure out how to set up their client, what's the problem
> w/them picking a specific set of email servers?

That is a good question. But I answered it. It's inconvenient. Customers
may have more than one ISP, more than one business, more than one domain
hosted, parked, here, there, etc. They switch their From: address in
their email client depending on many things, but they leave their
outgoing server the same. Yes, MUAs could do a better job of tying
outgoing mail server to the From: address chosen.

Currently, asking customers to _not_ send through some other mail server
when they are borrowing a computer, or using their whatever mobile
device on some crippled cell network is inconvenient for the customer.
ISPs operate on a fairly slim margin these days. Support calls can doom
an ISP. If SPF was a silver bullet, it might be worth pushing it on
users, but it's not.

Ken

Since most servers

--