MailScanner, CentOS 5 and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 3 16:39:11 IST 2009

# rpm -q mailscanner
mailscanner-4.74.16-1

I can't be the only person dealing with this and I'm trying to figure
out the best way to handle it. When updating to CentOS 5.3, I ran into
conflicts between CentOS perl package and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp
packages.

so I remove perl-IO & perl-File-Temp packages (and some others, less
important) and update moves along.

but then I restart MailScanner because of various perl changes and it
complains bitterly and won't start...

Starting MailScanner
daemons:
         incoming postfix:     [  OK  ]
         outgoing postfix:     [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:       File::Temp version 0.18 required--this is
only version 0.16 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Tools.pm line
14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Tools.pm line 14.
Compilation failed in require
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Parser.pm line 142.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Parser.pm line 142.
Compilation failed in require
at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MCPMessage.pm line 41.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MCPMessage.pm line 41.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 81.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 81.

so I force the installation of perl-IO and perl-File-Temp and things are
OK...MailScanner will start. But then CentOS issues another perl update
and I have to remove them again to update and force the install again to
get MailScanner to run.

There has to be a better way than this...this is no way to run a
railroad.

Craig

believed to be clean.