Improvements to install.sh ?

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Sat Sep 27 20:19:49 IST 2008

On 9/27/2008 8:52 PM, Julian Field wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I haven't done anything to the installer in quite a long time.
> Are there any improvements people would like to see, particularly in the
> RPM installer as that's by far the most common distribution, and is used
> by the least tech-savvy people who need the most guidance.
>
> Today I have done some work on both the README and the QuickInstall.txt
> files, to bring the up to date and to simplify them.
>
> Also I have documented the "./install.sh fast" option, so people who
> read the docs know it exists, as it greatly speeds things up if you know
> what you're doing and don't need to read all the output.
>
> But what would people like to see improved in the actual installation
> script, install.sh?

Hi Jules,

1.- Before  you start doing the setup, check which Perl modules you'll
be updating/overwriting, show a list and REQUIRE an "Press enter" key to
accept these changes

2.- Write a install.log in system's root folder. Write the results of
[1.] at the top.

if admin chooses to use the "fast" method, only write the log.

I think this would help avoid surprises

The "only worry about xyz" gives a possible sense of safety, not sure at
this point if anything else is so trivial as lately there have been
growing dependency issues.

Ideally, if you need to use a higher module version for MS that what you
find installed, add to /path/to/MailScanner/perl but I assume that would
require a massive lot of work.

my 2 cents

Alex