SpamAssassin timeouts - 0 of 20

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Sep 20 13:48:09 IST 2008

Steve Campbell wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure it's DNS type stuff as we
>>> just moved to a new provider recently.
>>>
>>> But - what's up with the ZERO of 20 part? That's the reason I asked
>>> about problems. Sort of like saying no timeouts, which isn't a
>>> problem. :-\
>>>
>>> Thanks all for the really great list and software.
>>>
>>> steve
>>>

>> On computers, a zero is a valid starting point. But the fact that it
>> says timeout is a problem. Every message that it times out on will go
>> through your system to a (future) angry user.
>> The local caching nameserver should help a lot.
>>

> Got that going again. Had to stop it for a while due to the IP changes
> we just made.
>
> Time will tell if that gets it back to the very-few-a-day we used to see.
If you call SpamAssassin directly with the "spamassassin" command, it
can be very difficult to see which bits took all the time. If you run
    MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
then it will run SpamAssassin but will print the time at the start of
every line of SpamAssassin output, which makes it *much* easier to see
where the hold-ups were.

Don't worry about the 0 in 0 of 20, just something I never bothered
fixing :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng