Desperately trying to debug poor spam scanning performance

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Sep 16 11:58:00 IST 2008

Hi Ben,

Ben Tisdall wrote:
> The razor timeout seemed to have been a one-off.
>
> Here's a debug output (clearly Pyzor's unhappy, but it's the same on the
> comparison machine too, turning off doesn't help)

1)  Switch-off Pyzor by commenting the loadplugin lines in v3*.pre and
init.pre in /etc/mail/spamassassin.

IMHO - Pyzor isn't usable anymore unless you are low-volume and can put
up with the timeouts decreasing your scanner throughput, so I always
either don't install it or disable it.

Even though it appears to be unwell on your machines anyway - disabling
it will prevent the need for the code to get loaded anyway.

2)  Compare like-for-like.

Currently - each machine has different version of Perl modules (some
newer some older).  Check for updates to each of them on the new machine
and get the latest versions.

Also - you're looking at the 'Log Speed' output on both machines and
because they are showing different lower numbers you're jumping to the
conclusion that something is wrong.... it could be - but the only way to
be certain is to process the *same* batch of messages on both machines
(without any other traffic running at the same time) and then comparing
the results.

I'd expect the bytes throughput shown in the logs to vary greatly for
each batch due to the fact that some messages are larger and more
complex than others, so unless you are running the same batches through
- then you can't really know for sure that one is slower than the other.

3)  Do you have anything configured in 'Spam Lists' or 'Spam Domain
List' on either machine in MailScanner.conf??

4)  Have you mounted /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming on tmpfs?

Kind regards,
Steve.