Desperately trying to debug poor spam scanning performance

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 12:19:50 IST 2008

Ben Tisdall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried over the weekend to optimise spam processing speed on this
> box but with no major gains.
>
> Here's some data that might be useful (jitter is my home box & newacorn
> the not-yet-deployed production box).
>
> Speed Logging
> =============
>
> gmail => test => home
>
> Spam Checks = no
>
> newacorn:
>
> 11:12:31 Spam Checks completed at 43536 bytes per second
>
> jitter:
>
> 11:12:37 Spam Checks completed at 60548 bytes per second
>
> Spam Checks = yes
>
> newacorn:
>
> 11:15:17 Spam Checks completed at 491 bytes per second
>
> jitter:
>
> 11:15:26 Spam Checks completed at 1778 bytes per second
>

> bonnie++ results:
> =================
>
> https://jitter.tisdall.org.uk/pub/mstest/ms_disk.html
>

> Perl modules diff:
> ==================
>
> https://jitter.tisdall.org.uk/pub/mstest/ms_modules_diff.txt

Have you done a "MailScanner --debug --debug-sa" with a couple of
messages in the queue, so you can see exactly where the slow bits are?
It prints out a timestamp at the start of every line of output as the
spam checks are done by SpamAssassin, so you can see which bits take a
long time.

Do you run a "default deny" on your outbound traffic through your
firewall, so some tool like Razor (for example) is waiting for a timeout?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?