Spamassassin Timeout issue.

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Fri Sep 12 10:24:21 IST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 14:33 +0530, Swati Meghanand wrote:
> hi ram,
>
> Thanks for ur help, running spamassassin in debugging mode helped me a
> lot.
>
> I figured out that its not DNS related issue as spamassassin -D
> -t /path/to/mail gave me.

You can never be sure. By experience I can say 9/10 times it is a DNS
issue. Take more mails and test again , and at same times when your
MailScanner server has issues of clearing off

spamassassin -D -t /path/to/mail 2>&1 | tee -a /path/logfile
grep -i time /path/logfile

> [2646] dbg: dns: name server: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, family: 2, ipv6: 0
> [2646] dbg: dns: testing resolver nameservers: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
>  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> [2646] dbg: dns: trying (3) xxx.xxx...
> [2646] dbg: dns: looking up NS for 'xxx.xxx'
> [2646] dbg: dns: NS lookup of xxx.xxx using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx succeeded
> => DNS available (set dns_available to override)
> [2646] dbg: dns: is DNS available? 1
>
> possibly not even RAZOR issue
>
> [2646] dbg: razor2: part=0 engine=4 contested=0 confidence=0
> [2646] dbg: razor2: results: spam? 0
> [2646] dbg: razor2: results: engine 8, highest cf score: 0
> [2646] dbg: razor2: results: engine 4, highest cf score: 0
>
> yes  i got some trouble with Pyzor, but not always

Disable pyzor for testing, It doesnt make any diff in the results
anyway ... ofcourse YMMV :-)

> .....(snipped) ....
> still not able to finget out the exact reason since this error is not
> coming always...

Keep trying,
Sometimes it is just the errors are not continuous, you can set
aggressive timeouts  to narrow down the issues.
Have you monitored you b/w usage for any choke over there. ( In India
b/w is *still* an issue unfortunately)

Thanks
Ram