Spamassassin Timeout issue.

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Thu Sep 11 07:00:50 IST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 14:24 +0530, Swati Meghanand wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using mailscanner on a busy mail gateways from serveral months,
> which was working fine so far.From last few days I noticed incresed no
> of spam mails as well log Filtering queues (ofcourse slow processing
> of mailscanner).In log file of mailscanner I found following lines,
>
> Sep 10 04:47:29 localhost MailScanner[11027]: Virus and Content
> Scanning: Starting
> Sep 10 04:47:37 localhost MailScanner[8400]: SpamAssassin timed out
> and was killed, failure 8 of 20
> Sep 10 04:47:37 localhost MailScanner[8680]: SpamAssassin timed out
> and was killed, failure 14 of 20
> Sep 10 04:47:38 localhost MailScanner[8680]: Message 1KdL6x-0005q5-L3
> from xx.xx.xx.xx (xxx at xxx.x) to xxx.xx is not spam, SpamAssassin (not
> cached, timed out)
> Sep 10 04:47:38 localhost MailScanner[8400]: Message 1KdLDG-0006se-Ox
> from xx.xx.xx.xx (xxx at xx.xxx) to xxx.xx is not spam, SpamAssassin (not
> cached, timed out)
>
> it clealy indicates mailscanner is not (able to) scanning messages.

Hi Swati,
MailScanner Spamassassin timing out can be due to multiple reasons  most
likely this is a DNS issue like others have said. It could also be a
huge BAYES file or a blocked RAZOR port etc

Just check if your SA is still quering all the Dead DNS lists
( secuirtysage , ORDB , OPM BLITZED , DOB etc )

I would suggest take any mail and run
spamassassin -D -t < /path/mail
(test with a mail with multiple urls and one that has passed thru
different mail hops )

That test would most probably give you enough results to find what is
taking time.