ClamAV 0.94

Jim Barber jim.barber at ddihealth.com
Tue Sep 9 02:38:41 IST 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>
>>> Now, the clamd daemon is running, how do i tell the mailscanner to use
>>> it?
>
>> You will need to upgrade your mailscanner version. Debian uses a version
>> that is probably 3 years old by now. In MailScanner time that is like 30
>> generations.
>
> In spam terms that is about 15 generations ago.
>
> I would recommend that Jules defines a version policy about how many
> versions back something is considered too old to be even bothered with
> and notification is send to the Debian team that their prehistoric
> version is too old to keep in there system.
>
> Keeping up was my greatest concern in regard to building a repository
> for MailScanner.
>
> Hugo.
>
> PS: Did anyone bother to check the awstats statistics?

The version of MailScanner in Debian's testing / lenny distribution is 4.68.8.
That's also really old, but it does have the ability to use clamd (I'm using it successfully).

To use it I needed to add the Debian-exim user to the clamav group.
I also added the clamav user to the Debian-exim group, but you may be able to avoid that by setting "Incoming Work Group = clamav" in the config below.

Then you need set a few values in your /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file:

	Incoming Work Permissions = 0660

	Virus Scanners = clamd

	Monitors for ClamAV Updates = /var/lib/clamav/*.inc/* /var/lib/clamav/*.cvd

Regards,