Looking for a test mail generator

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 8 16:38:17 IST 2008

To test a new installation before a cutover, I'm trying to find (out
whether anyone has written) a program that can send a bunch of email to a
SMTP server, logging what it does (both logical and session level), so
that I can check that the results are what they should be.

Optimally, I'd like something that worked like this:

Provide it with 4 or 5 pieces of random spam, and 4 or 5 pieces of ham,
and have it try to -- in random order -- send each of the message bodies
to a) one or more provided valid addresses and b) one or more random
non-valid addresses on the provisioned domain, and c) one or more
completely random addresses.

The goal, of course, is to make sure that what should pass through passes
through, what should bounce bounces, what shouldn't backscatter doesn't,
and what should deliver does.

Has anyone already written this?  I'm sure perl or python provides the
modules, but I'm not good enough at either to do it myself.  I could
probably hack around something that does 60-70% of it into what I wanted,
though.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.