Using Spamd rather than the SpamAssassin Library

Matt Hampton spamlists at coders.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 21:18:39 IST 2008

All

Don't know if anyone is interested but I have a (heavily) modified
SA.pm  which allows MailScanner to use spamd rather than the
Mail::SpamAssassin library (similiar to how Rick(?) implemented the
calmd vs ClamAVModule).  I have checked with Jules and he is happy with
me sharing it.

$Id: SA.pm 4522 2008-08-20 15:19:23Z sysjkf $

Instructions:

THINK CAREFULLY!
Once this patch is in place MailScanner relies solely on spamd - you
cannot choose between the two.
This is beta code and it uses a file from the SVN repository of
SpamAssassin which hasn't be published yet!

Download http://www.coders.co.uk/SA.pm

take a backup of the files
   SA.pm
   ConfigDefs.pl

in the MailScanner installation (on mine /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner)

copy the downloaded file over the top of the existing file
add the following three lines to the bottom ConfigDefs.pl

spamdserv
spamdport
spamduser <USER>

(where <USER> is the default user for spamd)

The defaults  for spamdserv/spamdport are "localhost" and port 783

YOU MUST REPLACE <USER> with a valid user!

Locate you Mail::SpamAssassin::Client.pm

Over write this with

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Client.pm?revision=597826

This is a drop in replacement and does not change the functionality - it
exposes some extra bits and pieces.

Why would you want to do this?

Memory - Small over head as the SpamAssassin rules are loaded in to
shared memory
Faster - in theory it should be faster - haven't noticed a difference

The biggy.....:  If you were to put in your MailScanner.conf file

Spamd User = &SomeFunction

You can now control the user that talks to the spamd.

This gives you:
Individual bayes
Individual awl
Individual scores

Need I say more.....

enjoy and feed back please.  If enough people like it (especially
Jules!), I believe that  retaining the ability to chose between the two
is possible.

matt