MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.71 stable released

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Sep 4 22:50:57 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> I have provided support for 7.01. Install it with the
> "--command-line-only" switch on the installer command-line in order to
> just the get bits you want and not any of the whole irrelevant
> management environment.

I just installed f-secure 7.01 in command line mode (upgrade from 4.65)
and checked my contab.  The previous installs would ask whether or not
to modify crontab - this one doesn't.  It just inserts the following in
root's crontab:

# Start of FSSP automatically added scheduled tasks. Do not edit.
*/1 * * * * /opt/f-secure/fssp/bin/dbupdate --auto >/dev/null 2>&1
# End of FSSP automatically added scheduled tasks. Do not edit.

I presume that MailScanner has an f-secure update wrapper so I'm remming
it out.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on that Julian.

It struck me as really odd though - unless I'm reading it wrong,
f-secure wants to check for updates every minute?  Seems a bit paranoid
to me.  Anyway, just wanted to give others a heads up on that...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500