CVD extraction failure

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Sep 2 15:11:48 IST 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:

> 2008/8/29 Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com
> <mailto:campbell at cnpapers.com>>
>
>     I hate to ask a question about old version stuff, but we're in the
>     middle of some changes here that just do not let me get around to
>     updating MS. I'm running *MailScanner has detected a possible
>     fraud attempt from "4.58.9." claiming to be* 4.58.9. <http://4.58.9.>
>
>     I started updating the world of Clam/SA and got stopped before I
>     could get to MS. I now see "ERROR: CVD extraction failure"
>     messages in my log file. I'm assuming this has to do with new
>     ClamAV/ old MS and did my best to try and find where the message
>     is coming from. Couldn't find a clue in any of the update scripts,
>     etc.
>
>     Any help would be appreciated, and any explanation as to the
>     severity of the messge would be gratefully appreciated also.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Steve Campbell
>
> Do you get the same from freshclam? The clamav-autoupdate basically
> just run freshclam...
> Perhaps you have multiple clamav installed (or "leftovers" from more
> than one)? Check your virus.scanners.conf for the relevant one you are
> using:). As always, one install of the latest stable is best.
> The error itself is ... pretty sever, I'd think, since you will lack
> proper updates until fixed.
>
> Cheers
> --

Thanks Glenn,

I checked freshclam, ran it manually, and found that the log file wasn't
created. I touched the file, re-modded it to 777, and ran freshclam, and
all was well. But I am still getting the CVD errors. I had checked the
update-wrapper and autoupdate scripts before inquiring and saw nothing
that looked wrong. For all I know, this may not even be Clam, now that I
think about it, as the error log entry just says MailScanner, so it
could be Bitdefender instead. I removed bitdefender and reloaded MS, but
still am seeing the error, so I believe it is Clam related.

Thanks.

Steve