Rules with IP addresses

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 12:22:45 IST 2008

Caza Henha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Mailscanner with Postfix and MailWatch and
> it seems over the last week the system is running great, however I am
> now getting requests to tweak the default rules that I have from
> various users in different departments. I have been trying to delve
> into the knitty gritty of the rules and understand the principles and
> they do not seem very complicated and when looking at some examples on
> the Wiki things shouldn't be to difficult.
>
> Consequently I have noticed a number of examples have IP addresses in
> the From section of the rules and I was just wondering where this IP
> address was coming from and what it can actually be as I cannot seem
> to find any documentation on it. For example is this IP address (or
> the RegEx of one) the connecting smtp server (or any smtp server that
> the mail has passed through), client address, MX address of the
> sending domain etc or any combination of all the previous?
It is the IP address of the machine that was the client end of the SMTP
connection to the server. So in the case of a customer-facing SMTP
server, it will be the customer's client IP address. In the case of an
MX it would be the IP address of the SMTP server talking to you.

> Also can this be used in a "To" configuration,
No. Due to the way mail delivery works, you don't know the IP address of
the destination until you have already started sending the message.
Can't be done.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng