"Remove These Headers" in MailScanner.conf

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 16:16:27 GMT 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Julian Field wrote:

> I have just come across a pretty good looking list of headers that you
> probably don't want in your incoming mail.

You're welcome Julian.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Martin.Hepworth wrote:

> Not sure about the read/delivery reciept stuff in there. A lot of people
> like to spam themselves with this stuff....I know it's a bad idea along
> with OoO replies but 'user's who need educating may take a dim view.
>
> What do other folk think?

There is no guarantee that any those headers have any operational meaning
outside one's own administrative zone for email, and maybe not across
different systems within it.  Either the remote system may not support
responding to them, or the end user may choose not to allow the
acknowledgement.  Absence of an auto-ack does not mean the message was not
read, and end users should be trained accordingly.

I personally consider it none of the sender's business when I happened to
read one or other email.  If I make a reply, then they'll know I read it
then.  That's all they need to know.

In terms of MailScanner, then, I would probably suggest leaving the mail
box status messages (X-IMAPBase:, Status:, etc) in the default list (a
security decision), and then just listing the others as possible
additional inclusions for those sites which want to additionally block the
requests for disposition notifications/read receipts/etc (a policy/privacy
decision).

On a similar note, I am always much amused when "XYZ has recalled the
message 'Blah blah blah'" messages go to mailing lists.  Such features are
even more useless, generally only working for internal email only: once
the email has escaped to the Internet, it is too late.  Drawing attention
to the message ("Hmm, why did they want to recall it, what juicy gossip
did they mis-send?") only serves to compound the error.

Jethro.

> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK