MailScanner stop problem+another one

Velda Midanovic velda.midanovic at trezor.sr.gov.yu
Wed Oct 15 09:15:43 IST 2008

Thank you.

A bit sarcastic, but, well... True.

I did a google for it, but wanted to be sure.

In some wee hours of the morning, I did find a solution, and here it is :

****************

In the file : /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm
:

sub ExitLogging {

   # Server exit - commit changes, close socket, and exit gracefully.

   close(SERVER);

   #$dbh->commit;       ß----- This is the ONLY change, and it does work.

   $dbh->disconnect;

   exit;

 }

***************

So there it is...

***************

There has cropped up another problem, and only yesterday.

It is this :

After I stop MailScanner :

service MailScanner status

Checking MailScanner daemons:

         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]

         incoming sendmail: head: cannot open `/var/run/sendmail.in.pid' for
rea                  ding: No such file or directory

                                                           [FAILED]

         outgoing sendmail: head: cannot open `/var/run/sendmail.out.pid'
for re                  ading: No such file or directory

                                                           [FAILED]

And YES I did Google it.

Very little info.

All seems to be working fine (tester GTUBE+EICAR), but it bugs me.

I make files by hand (root smmsp rw-r-r--) in /var/run, and till the next
(re)start it is OK, but then I have to make them again.

So just a question : should I be worried?

Velda

2008/10/14 Velda Midanovic <velda.midanovic at trezor.sr.gov.yu>:

> Dear all,

> My configuration is as : RH4U5+sendmail+MailScanner

> 4.71.10-1+MailWatch 1.0.4+SpamAssassin+ClamAV

> When I do a #MailScanner -lint, I get this at the end :

> -----------------

> Config: calling custom end function MailWatchLogging

> commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at

> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,

> <CLIENT> line 1.

> Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at

> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,

> <CLIENT> line 1.

> -------------------

> It also appears sometimes (but not always!) when I stop the MailScanner :

> # service MailScanner stop

> Shutting down MailScanner daemons:

>          MailScanner:       commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at

> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,

> <CLIENT> line 1.

> Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at

> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,

> <CLIENT> line 1.

>                                                            [  OK  ]

>          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

> ------------------

> There is nothing in /var/log/messages...

> EICAR and GTUBE test are OK.

> Help!!!

> Thanks in advance,

> Velda

Did you ever bother to *read* the message? Did you ever try looking for it
in the archives of this list? Google it?

If you had, you might have noticed that:

- It is purely informational and, as such, non-harmful.

- it is due to you having autocommit on, while MailWatch still does the
commits as needed. All that "error" is doing is saying "Hey, I already did
that!".

- The only possible reason to "fix" this "error" is to aviod any more
questions about how to fix it!!!

<pause while drinking first cup o' java> Sorry Velda, don't mean to bite
your head of, it's just that this crops up now and then... And no matter how
much one explains, it still does... Sigh.

Since Steve has moved on to other things (version 2 amongst them:-), this
"error" will never be "fixed" ... and it doesn't need to be fixed:-).

Just take a deep breath, forge ahead ... and live with it.

Cheers

--

-- Glenn

believed to be clean.