Mqueue.in just keeps growing...

Peter Nitschke email at ace.net.au
Fri Oct 10 09:16:46 IST 2008

Bottom line is that you are being hammered.

Temporarily block port 25 until you can get the mess cleaned out.

Reduce the number of MS children as it sounds like you may have too many,
also reduce the number of mails per scan.  That's part of your high load
problem.

Add or adjust these in sendmail.mc

define(`confQUEUE_LA',`3')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA',`3')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
define(`confTO_INITIAL', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_ACONNECT', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_ICONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_HELO', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_MAIL', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_RCPT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAINIT', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATABLOCK', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAFINAL', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_RSET', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_QUIT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_MISC', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_COMMAND', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_CONTROL', `1m')dnl
define(`confTO_LHLO', `1m')dnl
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN',`50')dnl
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE',`20')dnl

define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`2')dnl
FEATURE(`conncontrol', ,`terminate')dnl

FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net', `"Rejected "$&{client_addr}" by
bl.spamcop.net"')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `zen.spamhaus.org',`"Rejected "$&{client_addr}" by
zen.spamhaus.org"')dnl

Add this to /etc/mail/access
ClientConn:             4
ClientRate:             10
ClientRate:127.0.0.1    0

Then run  "make -C /etc/mail"

Restart MailScanner.

This stuff protects my server very well.

Peter