OT Shared Imap folders/accounts

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Oct 9 18:23:40 IST 2008

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> There's no such thing as "normal pop3 accounts" with your setup.
> There's system user accounts, which have mail, which can be read with
> both POP3 and IMAP. POP3 access by any one of them at the same time as
> the multiple IMAP users with such ancient software almost *
> guarantees* corruption.
>
> On Oct 9, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> The confusing part is that I create normal pop3 accounts, and people
>> access them throught their client (and horde/imp) as IMAP and it
>> seems to work.

I've always referred to most of these accounts, or at least the owners
of these accounts, as abnormal, so yes you're absolutely right. You're
also right in pointing out these are normal system user accounts, with
home directories and mboxes in /var/spool/mail.

The corruption issue is so minimal, that I've never really looked for a
permanent, real solution. For the most part, only one use is responsible
for "cleaning" up the mailbox, but sometimes, somebody gets a little
key-happy.

As Scott suggested also, Dovecot looks most promising.

Thanks loads.

steve