Installer comments

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 9 17:20:20 IST 2008

on 10-9-2008 2:25 AM Julian Field spake the following:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>>

>>> It would be super if the installer could do this for you somehow,
>>> basically ask if it should look for the old directory and copy over old
>>> files somehow.
>>>
>>> This is also true for the old configuration. I assume that most people
>>> who upgrade will want to run the upgrade_conf script on their old
>>> configuration to create an up2date configuration file.
>>>
>>> This could also (in a simple way I think) be done by the installer.
>>>

>> This is also debatable, as some people with heavily commented conf
>> files do
>> not run the upgrade_mailscanner_conf script because it removes all their
>> comments, but run a diff and fix it themselves.
>>
> There is a "keep-comments" command-line switch to do exactly this.

But doesn't "keep-comments" switch then leave out anything you might have
added? Which means you either get any comments that Julian has added, or you
get to keep your own, but not both?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and