Improvements to install.sh ?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Oct 6 13:48:19 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:52:39 +0100:

> Today I have done some work on both the README and the QuickInstall.txt
> files, to bring the up to date and to simplify them.

Just yesterday, I read them before doing a new install of MS and wondered
about "Red Hat 8.0". ;-)

> Also I have documented the "./install.sh fast" option, so people who
> read the docs know it exists, as it greatly speeds things up if you know
> what you're doing and don't need to read all the output.
>
> But what would people like to see improved in the actual installation
> script, install.sh?

An option to only install rpm's that are necessary for the respective OS.
You could provide this for a short list of the most used OSes. e.g. a lot
of the Perl modules you want to install are part of the main Perl on newer
systems and conflict with them. This gives especially a hard time in case
the system Perl gets updated (usually a security update). It can even lead
to a case of a non-updatable Perl!

eg. install-sh --system rhel5 would only install
rpm -ivh tnef*
rpm -ivh mailscanner*

as *all* attached Perl modules are *not* necessary on that platform. They
are either part of RHEL/CentOS 5 or can be installed via rpmforge.

(yum install perl-Convert-BinHex perl-Convert-TNEF perl-Convert-BinHex
perl-Convert-TNEF perl-DBD-SQLite perl-Filesys-Df perl-IO-stringy perl-
MIME-tools perl-Net-CIDR perl-OLE-Storage_Lite perl-Pod-Escapes perl-Pod-
Simple perl-Test-Pod perl-Time-HiRes)

As for the setup actions in the mailscanner*.rpm itself, I wonder if it
wouldn't be time to adjust it so it works for Postfix as well. I've changed
to Postfix on my new setups and followed the instructions on
http://www.mailscanner.info/postfix.html and in MailScanner.conf
That worked right from the beginning and I think it shouldn't be difficult
to do this via script or provide an alternative MailScanner.conf and
provide the few filesystem actions with a script.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany