log files double rotate happening

Lists lists at rheel.co.nz
Sun Nov 30 21:54:05 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I have set up in logrotate.conf the following (intent is to compress the
maillog files weekly)
what is happening is that i'm getting zip files created ie maillog.1.gz
but also getting the maillog.0 maillog.1 files being created.
It is making it quite difficult to find information in them later.

Can someone guide me to turn of the original maillog.0 maillog.1
rotation (as i think the rotation in the below logrotate would suffice)

Thanks
Kate

# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
weekly
# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 4
# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create
# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
#compress
# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d
# no packages own wtmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    monthly
    minsize 1M
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}
# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.
/var/log/maillog {
    missingok
    daily
    rotate 7
    create
    compress
    start 0
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2>
/dev/null || true
    endscript
}